Bone Fit™ Osteoporosis Program
Kinetik Rehabilitation Services has recently expanded our services to include the BoneFit ™ program for people living with osteoporosis or those who are at risk. The BoneFit™ program is an evidence-based program to prescribe safe and effective exercises for people living with osteoporosis.
“Osteoporosis Canada developed the Bone Fit™ course in conjunction with an advisory committee of expert clinicians and academics in the area of osteoporosis and exercise. The goal of the strategy is to reduce fractures, morbidity, mortality and costs from osteoporosis through an integrated and comprehensive approach aimed at health promotion and disease management.
BoneFit™ clinical exercise guidelines were released in 2010 to help create a continuum of care from the clinic to the community or home for health and fitness professionals.
A Bone Fit™ Trainer can do the following:
- Conduct a thorough clinical assessment and fracture screening, which is safe for any client along the spectrum of bone loss (from simple low bone mass to complex osteoporosis with co-morbidities)
- Provide rehabilitation through safe exercise prescription & adaptation.
- Perform an advanced evaluation of current activities of daily living and recreational pursuits and provide safe alternatives when appropriate. “
– Osteoporosis Canada © 2019 Bone Fit™. All Rights Reserved.
The goal of BoneFit™
- Build muscle strength
- Prevent falls
- Protect the spine
- Slow the rate of bone loss as we age
These goals will be achieved through a multi-component exercise approach involving balance, posture, strength and weight-bearing aerobic exercises. Fractures are often a common consequence of osteoporosis and many individuals do not realize they have osteoporosis until they have experienced a fracture. The BoneFit™ trainer will educate individuals on what is safe to do from an exercise standpoint as well as everyday activities to avoid the risk of falls or future fractures.